Dr Linda Leighton-Beck, Linda.Leighton-Beck@nhs.net (Head of Social Inclusion, MeOC Strategic Lead)
Catriona Sutherland, Catriona.Sutherland@nhs.net (Clinical Lead- Acute)
Laura Sutherland, Laura.Sutherland@nhs.net (Moray HSCP)
Susan Johnston, email@example.com (Moray HSCP)
Shona Strachan, Shona.Strachan@nhs.net (Aberdeenshire HSCP)
Dorothy R-A, Dorothy.Ross-Archer@nhs.net (Modernisation)
Making every Opportunity Count is an ambitious, integrative and transformative 3- tiered approach for cultural shift with everyone, every system and service doing a little to enable service users, and providers, to keep well.
MeOC is designed to support a common way of preventive working suitable for all public and third sector services by providing a simple approach to the ‘how’.
This work aligns well with NHS England’s developments of longer standing on Making Every Contact Count.
Partners make every opportunity count and win top Public Health award
A Few Words from Partners
Views of colleagues working for a UK Government agency, in Grampian.
- Manager’s view of Making every Opportunity Count (MeOC) approach
From the first meeting I had with the MeOC Manager to discuss the approach, I could see how the tool would complement and enhance the work of my entire team, giving them a great introduction to discussing wellbeing with people who use our services, leading into discussion of other personal circumstances. The information necessary was also provided for team members so that they were confident they could signpost people to appropriate support. I was really impressed by the tools offered to us by NHS Grampian, especially as they were tailored to meet our needs and the needs of people who use our services. The awareness sessions for the teams were informal, enjoyable and, although they only took about 30 minutes, they really helped the teams to see the benefits of MeOC. The sessions also gave them the opportunity to have an input into the information and how we would use it.
It has been so easy to introduce MeOC into our daily work and we have already begun to see the benefits to people who use our services and to staff. In terms of resource, we had 2 short meetings – an initial discussion and a planning meeting – delivered 2 x30 minute sessions to staff, and then we were underway. The recording is minimal and the support we received from NHSG has been amazing.
We can now make the MeOC approach ours and simply build it in to our processews
- Team Leader’s view of MeOC approach
As soon as I heard about MeOC, I could immediately see the benefits of it for people who use our services, and I volunteered my team to take part in a test of change.
I sat in on the awareness session the MeOC Manager provided for my team. We then met to go over the presentation and that helped me clarify what should be included, and ensured I had all the resources required.
I now feel comfortable leading the awareness session myself, and can support any new staff we may have in future.
The process from start to finish has been incredibly straightforward and, with brief initial support, I have now been able to take this forward. My team members are now conducting effective wellbeing conversations and signposting to local services.
To Find more about Implementation methods page
- Local Champion Role
- Work and Employability with Training Slides
- Money worries
- Healthy Eating, Obesity, Physical activity
- Making every Opportunity Count Pack – Moray HSCP
- NO Delays
- Making Every Opportunity Count Videos
- Powerpoint Slides – Orientation and Awareness
- MeOC Awareness sessions Pre and Post Questionnaires and Certificate of Attendance
- Aberdeen City Referral & Signposting Services
- Aberdeenshire Buchan Area Signposting
Toolbox: Making every Opportunity Count (MeOC) For Partners.
- Families Outside and Action for Children
- Pathways Services Ltd
- Aberdeen Foyer
- Public Dental Services
- Department of Work and Pensions
- Capturing Performance – Simple Process
- Paramount Care Aberdeen Limited
- Grampian Opportunities
- Aberdeenshire Signposting Project
Toolbox: Making every Opportunity Count (MeOC) For Managers.
- Tool Box Briefing note for managers and supervisor
- Tool Box Flow Chart
- Tool Box Signposting Services
- Tool Box Slides
- Tool Box Staff Feedback Form
- Tool Box Wellbeing Self Review
- Outpatient Clinics, ARI
- Woodend Outpatients
- Kildrummy Day Hospital, RCH
- Ante-Natal Clinic, AMH
- Capturing Performance – Simple Process
How are we doing?
- ARI Patient and Staff Audits
- Outpatient Clinics in Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
Back to Health Inequalities