Referral into the Dietetic Service is via a HCP. Most patients who are referred into the Community Dietetic Department (CDD) principally for overweight are offered Healthy Helpings (HH) as a first step.
- Where a referral form indicates that an individual is unsuited to the Healthy Helpings group approach, for example if they have communication issues, they will be offered a clinic appointment with a dietitian. On average this will consist of 3, monthly appointments. The initial appointment with the dietitian is for 45 minutes, followed by two 15 minute review appointments.
- Making Changes – Where a person has been through HH but requires additional help, then referral to Community dietetics for a one-to-one dietetic appointment can be considered. At this stage the person is likely to be offered the ‘Making Changes’ programme which aims to facilitate dietary and lifestyle changes by using a behavioural change approach, with patient and dietitian working together to modify the patient’s current behaviour through learning and problem solving.
The ‘Making Changes’ programme is evidence-based and has been adapted from an NHS Tayside weight management programme. Initially patients are invited to attend an assessment appointment to see if the programme is suitable for them – if so, the patient will be invited to attend a further 3-5 sessions. Appointments are on a monthly basis, each lasting for 45 minutes.
‘Making Changes’ focuses on:
- The best way to set goals and targets
- Why keeping a lifestyle diary is important
- How to plan for difficult situations
- Ways to help reach your targets
- How to make the most of things that go right
- Why rewards are important
- What to do if things aren’t going so well
For more information on the Dietetic Service, please visit the Dietetic section on the NHS Grampian intranet site (NHS Grampian staff only).
Community Dietetic Department (Aberdeen City and Shire)
Aberdeen Community Care & Health Village
50 Frederick Street
Tel: 01224 655577 and Fax:01224 661591
Department of Nutrition & Dietetics
Dr Gray’s Hospital
Elgin IV30 1SN
Tel: (01343) 567350
Fax: (01343) 567487
Back to Adult Healthy Weight