Welcome to the May 2017 edition of the HI-Net Members’ Bulletin!
We hope you find this bulletin useful, and like always we welcome your feedback, requests and comments. Just contact the HI-Net Team on firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch. Also, if you are the author of an area on HI-Net and have any content to update, please get in touch.
Thank you for your time!
healthpoint and Smoking Advice Service (SAS) telephone number changes
Ofcom has now taken the decision to withdraw all remaining 0500 numbers from the 3rd June 2017. In light of this decision the healthpoint and Smoking Advice Service are now using the same single number 08085 20 20 30 as of the 1st April 2017.
As of the 1st April to 3rd June anyone calling the old numbers 0500 20 20 30 or 0500 600 332 will hear the following message;
“the number you have dialled has changed, please redial using 08085 20 20 30.” After the 3rd June, anyone dialling a 0500 number will hear the number unobtainable (NU) tone.
Registration for the NHSScotland Event 2017 is Now Open
Registration is now live for the NHSScotland Event 2017, which is being held on 20 and 21 June at the Scottish Event Campus (SEC), Glasgow (formerly the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre). The theme of this year’s Event is ‘Working Differently Across Boundaries: Transforming Health and Social Care’.
Aberdeen EcoCity Awards 2017
The EcoCity Awards recognise and reward local people for their efforts to make Aberdeen a more sustainable city. Members of the Environmental Policy Team in partnership with the Environmental Services Team, Energy Team, Transport Team and the Recycling Team, work together on the EcoCity Awards and invite submissions from individuals, community groups, schools, businesses, charities and other organisations.
The EcoCity awards are now open to entrants until the 31st August 2017.
Information on the actual awards is available here: Aberdeen EcoCity Awards 2017
Submitting an application for the award can been done here: Aberdeen EcoCity Awards 2017 – Application Form
There are new categories this year for businesses relating to resource efficiency and also a new category relating to energy efficiency within all sectors. Entries are open to individuals, organisations, community groups, schools, charities, businesses etc that operate within Aberdeen City.
Should you have any queries relating to the awards please direct them to Ecocity@aberdeencity.gov.uk
Wanted – ActWELL Volunteer Lifestyle Coaches
Breast Cancer Now are recruiting volunteers to be part of an exciting and innovative new project in Scotland.
They are currently recruiting volunteer Lifestyle Coaches in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen to join their team and support the delivery of the ActWELL trial.
To find out more about this role you can download our volunteer role profile (PDF) and volunteer information pack (PDF) or if you have any further questions please get in touch by emailing email@example.com or call 0131 226 0763.
Chief Medical Officer for Scotland Annual Report 2015/16: Realising Realistic Medicine is available now.
This report includes practical examples and shared learning from around Scotland showcasing the exciting work underway. Realistic Medicine puts the person receiving health and care at the centre of decision-making and encourages a personalised approach to their care. Its aims of reducing harm and waste, tackling unwarranted variation in care, managing clinical risk, and innovating to improve, are essential to a well-functioning and sustainable NHS. A link to the report – http://www.gov.scot/ISBN/9781786526731.
In addition to the national work, this includes a number of local examples (acknowledging these are at various stages of implementation) of work shared by colleagues/teams within Grampian in relation to implementing Realistic Medicine.
Regulation of cosmetic treatments begins as registration of independent clinics becomes law
Scotland first country in the UK to begin regulating services that provide non-surgical cosmetic treatments. From 1 April 2017, as a result of new legislation, all independent clinics in Scotland are required to be registered with Healthcare Improvement Scotland. The regulation of independent clinics is the first stage in improving safety and care for the increasing number of people seeking non-surgical cosmetic treatments, such as dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle injections.
Visit Healthcare Improvement Scotland website for more details.
Global hepatitis report, 2017
In May 2016, the World Health Assembly endorsed the Global Health Sector Strategy (GHSS) on viral hepatitis 2016–2021. The GHSS calls for the elimination of viral hepatitis as a public health threat by 2030 (reducing new infections by 90% and mortality by 65%).
The report focuses on hepatitis B and C, which are responsible for 96% of all hepatitis mortality. It presents data along the five strategic directions (strategic information, interventions, equity, financing and innovation) – key pillars of the GHSS to facilitate monitoring of progress in countries, regions and globally, and to measure the impact of interventions on reducing new infections and saving lives between 2015 and 2030.
Visit World Health Organization website for more information
May Events Calendar
Med-Chi charity event ‘Famous For Five Minutes’
Saturday 6th May 2017 at Queen’s Cross Church, Aberdeen from 7.30pm
Raising the Issue of Smoking
This training takes place on Tuesday 9 May 2017 @ 10am in Large Conference Room, Inverurie
Stroke Training Course/Study Day -2017
These trainings takes place various dates throughout the year 2017 in different locations ( Woodend Hospital, Dr Gray’s Hospital and Suttie Centre )
The healthpoint hold monthly campaigns inclusive of activity weeks for the staff and public to take a practical approach to health with help from specialist services. These campaigns are all done in line with both local and national campaigns. Please see the healthpoint campaigns below.
Sun facts the burning issues
healthpoint and healthline offer free, confidential advice and information on a number of health concerns: 08085 20 20 30
Other National/ Global Health Campaigns
- Action on stroke month https://www.stroke.org.uk/
- National walking month https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/
- Hughes syndrome awareness month hughes-syndrome.org
- Dystronia awareness week 3-11th May http://www.dystonia.org.uk/
- World asthma day 2nd May http://worldasthmaday.org/
- World ovarian cancer day 8th May http://ovariancancerday.org/
- Mental health awareness week 8th-14th May http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/
- International fibromyalgia awareness day 12th May http://www.fmauk.org/
- International nurses day 12th May http://www.icn.ch/publications/international-nurses-day/
- Walk to school week 15th-19th May https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/
- National epilepsy week 15th-21st May http://www.epilepsyscotland.org.uk/
- National smile month 15th May-15th June http://www.nationalsmilemonth.org/
- Sun awareness week May 8th-14th http://www.bad.org.uk/
- Don’t fry day 26th May http://www.skincancerprevention.org/programs/dont-fry-day
- World no tobacco day 31st May http://www.who.int/campaigns/en/
HI-Net Content Updates
- New shortened URL for Sexual Health and BBV Training
- Updated Sexual Health and BBV Training documents
- Updated Health Inequalities webpage
- Deprivation in Grampian: from SIMD 2012 to SIMD2016 with maps of the new datazones and their deprivation quintiles clickable links
- New document on Grampian Self Management Network
- Note of a meeting of Grampian Self Managing Network, held at the Hopeville Social Club, Inverurie on Wednesday 25th January 2017 Grampian Self Management Network – 24 January 2017
- Updated NHS Grampian Managed Clinical Network (MCN) for Oral and Dental Health page
- Updated Healthy Working Lives page
- Updated Aberdeen City Public Health Page with latest contact details
- Updated ABI Training 4 Trainers documents
- Updated Alcohol and Drugs in Grampian and ADPs
- Updated Public Health Key Documents
- Updated Food Skills page with latest Training programme
- New NHS Health Scotland Health Improvement Alert April 2017
- Updated Evidence Updates Homepage with latest key documents
- E-cigarettes event Feb 2017
If you would like to include your news and/or events in future bulletins please get in touch by contacting the HI-Net team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoyed this edition of the HI-Net Members’ Bulletin! The next edition will be circulated in June 2017.
Back to Homepage