How to Keep Your Bowel Healthy – Key Messages
- Eat a healthy balanced diet.
- Aim for 5 portions of fruit or vegetables per day.
- Include all food groups in your diet, including fibre, protein, carbohydrates etc.
- Drink 1.5 to 2 litres of fluids per day, avoiding fluids that may irritate such as alcohol, caffeine and fizzy drinks.
- Avoid smoking as this may irritate the bowel as well as potentially cause other health problems.
- Aim to do 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 times a week.
- Make sure to empty your bowels when your body asks you to, don’t put it off as this will encourage constipation.
- If safe try to sit correctly on the toilet with your feet flat on the floor or a hard surface, relax your shoulders and rest your elbows on your thighs and push down gently.
Bowel Related Documents for Professionals